HVP History Time Capsule - 1918

Group of volunteer firefighters forms in the Hall’s Hill area, an African American neighborhood that began as home to many freed slaves and was kept separate from adjacent white communities in part by an 8-foot wooden fence. 

The Hall’s Hill firefighters acquired a 60-gallon chemical tank, which had to be pulled by six men over unpaved, often muddy roads. At some point, company equipment is housed on the grounds of the John Langston Elementary School, 2121 N. Culpeper Street.

Source: http://library.arlingtonva.us/2015/08/04/legacy-halls-hill-vfd-and-station-no-8/